Thursday, March 22, 2012

Easter Duck...For Real

Okay so, this is going to be my first tutorial.  I like to see a lot of photos when I follow a tutorial, so I am going to show all I can.  Lets see how it goes.  My granddaughter, Norah loves magnets on the ice box.  Oh sorry I am old and still refer to it as an icebox because my mom did.  I mean refrigerator.  I still have my Thanksgiving magnets up cause she loves them.  I did add Valentines day ones too, plus there is two baby announcements so it is quite the mish mosh. I decided to make her an Easter duck.  Here is what I came up with...
Here are the supplies I used:
yellow felt
orange felt
glue gun and glue sticks
paper scraps for template in these sizes:
2 1/2 by 4 1/2 inches for body
2 by 2 1/2 inches for wings
1 3/4 by 1 3/4 inches for feet
1 by 1 inch for beak
pen
ribbon for bow
feather or crepe paper
10 mm google eyes
ruler
scissors
magnet strip about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long


I started by cutting a piece of scrap paper into a 2 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch rectangle for the body.  I folded it in half, and traced a duck body onto it.  A basic ovally shape with an indent for the neck.
Then I cut that out and made made the pattern for the wings on a 2 by 2 1/2 inch piece of paper.

Then with a 1 3/4 by 1 3/4 inch piece i folded in half I made the feet pattern.
Finally with a 1 by 1 inch piece, I fold in half and drew the beak.
Then I pinned the body and wings to a doubled felt piece of yellow felt.  Because I want 2 body pieces and 2 wing pieces.  Cut them out and put aside.
I did the same with orange felt to make 2 feet pieces.  Unfold the beak piece and cut one of these out.  So you should have something that looks like this:
Remove the pins and paper and place the wings between the two body pieces.  Add hot glue onto the bottom of the body part and not the head.  Glue below and on top of the wings to secure.
Place your second body on top of this and press to seal. Glue your feet into place. Make your bow and set aside.  I decided at the last minute to add some sort of feather or crepe paper for "hair".
For the crepe piece I cut a piece about four inches long and then cut that in half lengthwise.  I then accordion folded it and cut slits in the top half.  I then placed them in place and decided that I liked the feather better.  I know everyone does not have yellow feathers jus laying around, so I wanted to give an alternative.  Here is how they each looked.
So I glued the feather between the two body layers.
Now glue the head completely together. Then I glued the bow on and glued eyes and the beak on after that. For the beak I offset it, so it looked like it was opened. If you do not have google eyes, you could make it out of felt pieces as well.  Norah likes these eyes, so that is what I went with.
Now I added a magnet strip.  I placed it completely over the neck area to stabilize the head. 
Now you have this:
Ready for Norah.
Well, I survived, and I hope if you find this blog and want to make a duck that you find it helpful.  
So that is my duck...for real.


















No comments:

Post a Comment