Monday, March 26, 2012

My Felt Food Adventure Begins...

           Ok, so there are a million pictures of felt food out there, and I advert my eyes every time.  I went to make felt food for my granddaughter, Norah, but do not want to be influenced by others food.  I think about it a lot.  Almost as much as I think about real food.  I was afraid to start that one of two things would happen. One that I would become frustrated with my versions and give up all hope and just go buy her some.  Or two, that I would become obsessed.  I decided to start with the easiest of all food to make...bow tie pasta.  How much easier does it get, maybe spaghetti?  Wait that sounds hard.  How about as easy as a fried egg.  I have seen pictures of an egg, so I decided, I would never make one.  So I decided to do a tutorial again, for two reasons.  One practice with writing out a tutorial.  And two, no one is reading this any way.  Not YET any way.  I am hoping that someone stops by soon.  So, in the meantime, here is my bow tie pasta felt food tutorial...
                                                                       The supplies:
beige felt
scissors
pinking shears
scrap paper
needle and thread
pen or pencil & ruler (not pictured)
I started buy cutting out my scrap paper into a rectangle 2" by 1 1/2 inches. Then I used that to mark from the edge in 2 inches.  I made several marks all the way up my straight edge.
Then I cut it out with pinking shears on one side, then repeated on the other long side.  It made it a little shorter than the 2 inches, but I was okay with that.  Then I just cut it every 1 1/2 inches with regular scissors.  Now with each rectangle I accordion holder it into fourths.  It looked like this

Now with a needle and thread starting on the inside of one fold thread it through so your knot is hidden. 
Then just go back and fourth through all layers about five or six times.  Go into the center with your last stitch again to hide the knot.  You are done with bow tie pasta number one.
This one is a little of center, but I thought and planned ahead for the rest.  I actually just got closer to the center, by trial and error.   I always thought it was center, but realized I was holding the center and sewing next to my finger.  Dork moment.  It is okay to laugh.  Here is my completed pile of bow tie pasta...
Ta-Dah!  Now I know you could have done this without a tutorial, but then I would not have gotten practice.  And practice makes perfect for future tutorials.  That is all assuming someone reads this someday.  I did learn from this post not to take pictures in my craft room after dark, as there is obliviously not enough light for pictures.  I do apologize for the poor quality.  
If you stumbled upon my blog, please any comment, even DUH I didn't need a tutorial for that.  More complicated felt food will come, so check back.  Go have a great day and hope to hear from you soon.




1 comment: